I currently lead two therapy groups in Palo Alto and am starting a third group in San Jose. My groups follow Irvin Yalom's interpersonal model of group therapy, in which members grow through relating to each other and themselves in new ways. Here is a summary of my groups and their meeting times:
- Tuesdays, 5:30-7:00 pm in Palo Alto. (Co-led by Benjamin Page Psy.D. and Edna Wallace MFT)
- Wednesdays, 6:30-8:00 pm in San Jose. (Group forming now, to start in June 2017. Led by Benjamin Page Psy.D.)
- Thursdays, 6:30-8:00 pm in Palo Alto. (Led by Benjamin Page Psy.D.)
Scroll down for more information and a flyer for each group.
1. Co-Facilitated Growth Through Relationships (Tuesdays, 5:30-7:00 pm in Palo Alto)
Growth Through Relationships (Co-facilitated group) is a therapy group for men and women, where the focus is on personal growth, connection, and being in relationship ... starting with the relationships in this group.
✦ Grow—increase your comfort, self-understanding, confidence, authenticity, trust, and capacity for emotional closeness
✦ Relate better to yourself and others
✦ Develop skills for expressing feelings and needs, managing conflicts, and tolerating distress
✦ Share your experiences, thoughts, feelings, and reactions with other members in an increasingly spontaneous and open way
✦Work through relationship difficulties, anxiety, depression, isolation, unwanted habits, and other concerns
Our goal is to provide a safe place where members can find out about themselves in relationship—what draws some people close, what pushes others away. Members are encouraged to use the group as a "relational lab" where they can practice interpersonal skills, share what's going on for them internally, and give and receive feedback honestly and with care.
This group will have two leaders, Edna Wallace, MFT, CGP and Benjamin Page, Psy.D., licensed psychotherapists with specialized training and experience in group psychotherapy. Edna works with individuals and couples in private practice in Los Altos and leads groups at El Camino Hospital in Mountain View. Ben works with individuals and groups in private practice in Palo Alto and San Jose.
The Growth Through Relationships group meets on Tuesdays from 5:30-7:00 p.m. in Palo Alto.
Our websites have more information. Please contact either one of us with questions or to discuss joining the group.
2. Growth Through Relationships (San Jose). (Wednesdays, 6:30-8:00. Group forming now, to start in June 2017)
Growth Through Relationships (San Jose) is a therapy group for men and women who want to make changes in their lives. The group is a safe and supportive place to work on:
• mastering anxiety, depression, relationship difficulties, self-doubt, etc.
• understanding yourself and how you come across to other people
• building trust
• gaining comfort and freedom being yourself
• knowing and expressing your feelings and needs
• improving your ability to get close to others emotionally
Members grow by openly sharing their experiences and reactions in the group and by working to develop their relationships with the other group members.
Growth Through Relationships (San Jose) is an exciting and broadening social learning opportunity that can help you discover how to create more satisfaction in your life and relationships.
Growth Through Relationships (San Jose) is forming now and will start meeting in late Spring 2017. It will meet on Wednesdays from 6:30-8:00 p.m. in my office in San Jose. Please contact me with any questions or to discuss joining the group.
3. Growth Through Relationships (Thursdays, 6:30-8:00 pm in Palo Alto)
Growth Through Relationships is an ongoing, interpersonal-process therapy group of 7-8 adults wanting to grow through relating to other group members in a confidential small group setting. The group is a safe and supportive place to:
- Feel better--increase your comfort, confidence, authenticity, trust, and capacity for emotional closeness
- Relate better--to yourself, others, and emotions
- Grow, as you share your thoughts, feelings, and reactions with other members in an increasingly spontaneous and open way
- Develop skills--communication, interpersonal, conflict management, emotion regulation
- Work through relationship difficulties, anxiety, depression, isolation, unwanted habits, and other concerns
The group meets on Thursdays from 6:30-8:00 pm in my office in Palo Alto. The standard fee is $60 per session; sliding fee scale available.
To discuss joining the group or to learn more, please call me. If the group turns out not to be a good fit for you, I will try to help you find a group that fits you better.
Benjamin Page, Psy.D.
1120 McKendrie Street
San Jose, CA 95126
117 S. California Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94306
Like this plant community perched on top of a fence post, a therapy group is a microcosm. Group members unconsciously re-create their outside relationships in the group, making the group a social microcosm.